String, thread, ribbon, tinsel- we call them linear foreign bodies and they are deadly. This 6-month-old kitten named Tigger came to us over a week ago, and was found to have ingested a long piece of thread that had started to cut through his intestines, spreading infection throughout his abdomen! It took two surgeries and a lot of intensive care (including oxygen supplementation and tube feeding) to get him through this ordeal. We are SO proud and pleased to report he is being discharged today! His wonderfully dedicated owners had adopted him less than a week before he got sick! He is so lucky to have them, and we wish him a long, healthy, and string-free life in his new home.
We will miss you Tigger!!
This adorable chocolate lab named Rosie came to us early this morning. She had delivered 5 healthy puppies, but it had been 7 hours since the last one had been born! An x-ray revealed 3 puppies left in her abdomen! After about an hour of medical management and assisted delivery, the 3 additional puppies were born, all healthy (amazing)! Rosie did great, and is such a good mother!
We just discovered this free book online that gives excellent first aid advice to pet owners. It can be accessed at www.veterinarypartner.com. Incidentally, this is an extremely useful website for pet owners, written by veterinarians, with good information on lots of different illnesses!
Minnie is a wonderful, 1-year-old, spayed female kitty who was recently adopted, but doesn’t get along with the resident cat in the household (although she has lived with other cats before). She came in to see us for a minor issue last week and stole our hearts! She was beautiful, affectionate, and not nervous at all about being in a strange environment. As much as her owner would love to keep her, she doesn’t want Minnie or her other cat living in a stressful enivronment. If you are interested in meeting Minnie, please call us at 860-693-6992, and we can help set up an introduction!
The staff of VEC want to wish everyone a very happy holiday! Thank you all for such incredible support in our opening weeks here- it means so much!
It really is true, you never know what you’re going to get in emergency veterinary medicine. We have been open for 2 1/2 weeks and have already seen an african grey parrot with a bell lodged on her beak (we freed her from it- note to bird owners that bells on toys are truly a hazard!), an owl who was hit by a car (amazingly, no injuries- flew home!), and a husky named Otto with a mouth full of porcupine quills!
Porcupine quills can really cause a lot of damage to our canine friends, as you can see by these pictures. But with a mild sedative and some time, we were able to extract all these quills from Otto’s muzzle, paw, and the roof of his mouth. He went home much happier than when he came in!
VEC opened its doors Wednesday, November 7, in the middle of the Nor’easter! We are so proud of the facility’s transformation from daycare center to veterinary hospital. Check out our before and after photos!
Welcome to Veterinary Emergency Center! We are scheduled to open our doors the week of November 5th. We’ve come a long way these past few months. Before and after photos will be posted shortly. Over the next several weeks, please feel free to come by to meet us and tour the facility. And remember, we will be here for you and your pet when you need us.